“This whole “new year new me” thing has got pretty old hasn’t it. We see the memes splashed across the internet as the clock strikes midnight, false hope of an ‘overnight revelation’ that immediately fixes everything wrong from 2018. Whatever.
But listen, we don’t have to see new year resolutions as something meaningless we all say on the 31st with no real resolve to stick to them. We can actually make small changes that can improve our mental well-being, our health, our outlook and just give us all those feel-good feels. Declaring you’re going to become a yoga instructor within two weeks by not sleeping and practising 5 hours a day isn’t realistic, although I’d like to see you try!
However, what is an achievable goal is all of the below. Pick out your favourites or follow all of my 30 ways to create that ‘new you’ and become the best person you can be this year. You are a conqueror of bad habits, a fighter of negativity and a creator of new horizons. So go forth and master 2019.
1. Clean out your wardrobe and drawers
Nothing beats a clean and organised wardrobe to give you that empowered female vibe. Your closet is your daily inspiration so make sure it is easily accessible and makes you want to dress up, every day.
2. Take old clothes to a charity shop…and be brutal
Come on now, that crop top hasn’t been worn since 2011. Let it go. Getting rid of old stuff allows you room for all the new awesome stuff that 2019 brings.
3. Spring clean the apartment
A tidy room is a tidy mind. You’ll feel mentally less cluttered when your pad is clean and fresh.
4. Research feng shui and change the furniture around
A change is as good as a rest, so why not alter the old pieces of furniture for a ‘new room’ feel.
5. Do a big food shop full of new healthy exciting options
Having healthy fresh food in the fridge and cupboard will mean you’re less likely to buy take out and will inspire you to create new delicious dishes that are healthier for you. Win win all round.
6. Go to bed at least 30 minutes earlier every day
Most of us are sleep deprived and it has a knock on effect on our day to day lifestyle. Try get more zzzz and reap the rewards.
7. Do not look at your phone an hour before bedtime
Scientists have proven that phone-scrolling just before bed keeps your mind awake and makes it harder for you to sleep naturally. Turn it off an hour before you’re due to hit the hay.
8. Buy yourself a new indoor plant or bouquet
Having greenery indoors will help you feel more invigorated and connected to nature.
9. Purchase a new lipstick shade
Don’t get stuck in a make-up rut, find a new lipstick shade to alter your style on the cheap and easy.
10. Turn off the phone for at least 3 hours and have a pampering session
Have a bath, read a book, do a body scrub, write a journal, paint a canvas…whatever you want to do for your ‘me’ time, do it. We’re all too stuck to our screens these days. We need to allocate time out to replenish our emotional stocks and recharge our bodies.
11. Unfollow any social media accounts that leave you feeling…meh
If looking at his pictures makes you regret every memory, or looking at her account makes you hate your own body or bank balance…unfollow. It’s not inspiration it’s just fuel for internal hate. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
12. Delete and block the recent ex / flame / bad date / Tinder stalker
Just remember that youuuuuu are never ever ever, getting back together. Like, ever.
13. Cut out any relationships and friendships that bring nothing but negativity
Sometimes we keep these people in our lives because they’ve been around for a long time. This doesn’t mean it is a healthy or fruitful relationship. If they offer nothing but negativity, you need to be brutal and phase them out.
14. Explore yoga or meditation
Yoga isn’t just that thing those annoying people do for decent Instagram pictures. It is actually incredibly beneficial for your physical AND mental health. Try it, even just for one taster session. Or, follow free tutorials online and do it at home to save pennies.
15. Get out into the fresh air at least once a day
You don’t need to be a keen runner or daily jogger to reap the benefits of getting out there. Even if it’s just a 10 minute walk around the block, you’ll still feel better for the exercise and being outside in the fresh air. Just remember a scarf and hat in winter!
16. Buy a handbag diary and fill it with fun plans and dates to remember
Nothing beats the feeling of a fresh new diary that can soon be filled with awesome events and big plans for the new year. You can use commuting time or evenings to check your plans, which also will keep your more organised and on time too.
17. Youtube new hairstyles and give them a go!
Being penniless in January doesn’t mean you can’t explore a new look – just find a new hairstyle that you can easily do in the mornings to give yourself a refreshed feel.
18. Spend a Sunday watching movies / Netflix in PJs with conditioner on your hair
Our hair can always do with a deep conditioning treatment, so why not spend a Sunday staying in and relaxing with movies and loungewear, with a conditioning mask on. You’ll enjoy the time out from being ‘on’ all the time, and your hair will get rescued in the process.
19. That old CV? Dedicate an hour updating it and send it out.
Stop avoiding those shitty little jobs and just do it. Once it’s done…it’s done.
20. Create a mood board for your 5 year plan
To remain focused you need a plan. What makes you tick? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What kind of relationship are you after? Holiday ideas? Put it all on the mood board for daily inspo.
21. Write down your ultimate career goals and how to get there
Having a strong career goal will give you the drive you need to make it a reality. So write down your career plan and research ways on how you can make the dream a reality.
22. Invite the family over and cook a roast dinner
Our family life is often neglected in this mad modern world, but it’s the most important part to keep in touch with. Either invite your family over or go see your parents for a dinner, and spend time just chatting to them. It’s worth it.
23. Tell your boyfriend you love him, for no reason
No explanation needed.
24. Arrange a date night with your partner for ‘quality’ time
Sometimes our ‘lives’ can feel like a sweeping storm that we can’t control – well stop, breathe, and make time for the one you love. Talk, laugh, have sex…whatever it is you two love doing together.
25. Get yourself out on dating sites / apps and start conversations
Single? Well this is YOUR year honey. Get yourself out there and start meeting guys! You won’t find your romance sitting indoors every night with a curry.
26. Stop saying no and start saying yes
No is a negative. Excuses are negatives. Yes is a positive. New situations are positives. You never know where this crazy world will lead you, so embrace everything and explore as much as you can.
27. When you find yourself thinking of negative thoughts / memories, replace them immediately with positivity
“You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control.” Eat Pray Love.
28. Smile at strangers in all situations
Even if they don’t smile back…be the one that is always approachable and happy. It will eventually rub off onto them. Spread the happiness far and wide you warrior princess you.
29. Wake up 15 minutes earlier to give yourself time for breakfast / drink
Get the ol’ metabolism going and just give yourself time to actually wake up. Rushing out of bed straight into the office will leave you feeling crap and unmotivated. Be awake and take time to wake up and enjoy your mornings.
30. Tell yourself every morning that today is going to be the best day of your life.
Because, it damn well is.