Let’s face it – not everyone is going to be a femme fatale or a Casanova. I myself am blessed with all the flirting ability of a mushroom and am more likely to trip over thin air than land a date. Some of us are blessed with charm whereas others are awkward and shy, and those are two characteristics that do not make flirting easy. But we’re here to help… with GIFs! Because who doesn’t love GIFs to illustrate a point?
1. Make eye contact when you’re trying to flirt with someone. There have been studies that show if you lock eyes with someone for a solid two minutes, it could encourage that feeling of passionate love. Don’t go too overboard though, or you end up looking like this…
2. Lips are incredibly sexy, so make sure you draw attention to them. It doesn’t matter if you slowly apply lip balm or lipstick, lick your lips (sensually, remember! Not like you’ve just eaten a doughnut), or touch them as if in thought – the person opposite you will remember, trust us.
3. Stand (or sit) up straight. When you practice good posture, you look more confident, and that is appealing to anyone.
4. When you catch their eye, smile. It really can be that easy.
5. Don’t be afraid to touch (keep it PG, people. For now anyway…) the person you’re flirting with. Depending on your confidence level, you could keep it innocent like a friendly nudge or push. If you’re bold, touch their arm or their hand. But for the love of god, read the moment right, or it’ll end up super weird.
6. Don’t stand too close to someone unless you’ve already established some kind of connection. Many people aren’t keen on having their personal space invaded – even if you’re the hottest thing since sliced bread. Until you know where you stand, stay at a comfortable arm’s length away.
7. Keep the conversation light and carefree – avoid controversial topics that could possibly upset the person you’re flirting with. And make sure you’re prepared but don’t sound like a robot. Conversion should be natural and not forced, but consistent.
8. Mimic their actions. If they take a sip of a drink, do the same. If they lean forward, you do the same. Again, keep it natural and for god’s sake don’t be creepy.
9. Don’t be afraid of the random innuendo. If you’re flirting with a guy or gal and you make an off-hand comment about a dry spell or that it’s been a while, their mind will be racing about what they’d like to do to you. Need inspiration for food-based puns? Nigella is the innuendo Queen.
10. Ladies, if you want to get a man’s attention, you can’t go wrong with good old fashioned pheromones. Wear a feminine fragrance on the key parts of your body: the wrists, behind the ears and between your boos. The right scent and they’ll be head over heels.
11. When you’re flirting with someone, make sure your entire body is facing them, and pay attention to what they’re saying. Focus, people.
12. Play with your necklace or dangling earrings if you’re wearing them or a strand of your hair. It draws attention to your neck and chest *wink*
13. Speaking of winks, don’t be afraid to wink at someone from across the room. If you catch someone checking you out and you wink, you’re letting them know you saw them, and that you’re open for a chat.
14. If you’re familiar with the person you want to flirt with, give them a lingering hug (about four heartbeats is good) when you see them and then when you say goodbye. Let’s get those feel-good hormones flowing.
15. Ladies, practice your sexy voice. When you’re feeling confident around a guy, you’re going to be able to have a smooth conversation with ease and a voice that exudes elegance and mystery.
16. Master that “come hither” look. You know, the one where your head is tilted sideways slightly and you’re looking up through your eyelashes. Pair this with a coy grin and they’ll be putty in your hands.
17. If you have something red in your wardrobe, wear it. Red is the colour of love, passion and romance, so it makes sense, right?
18. Dress to impress. No one wants to be seen talking to or flirting with someone who looks dishevelled. Remember, a suit is to women what lingerie is to men.
19. Be bold, and just ask them out on a date. Confidence is sexy.
20. Don’t be pushy if they turn you down. Instead, take it gracefully and move on. Oh well, there’s plenty more fish in the sea.
This was a guest post written by Grace Martin in collaboration with Quick Flirt.